All future students who plan to complete any degree program or accumulate nine semester hours of college credit must complete a placement test. The placement test is given on all three Paul D. Camp Community College sites—Franklin, Suffolk, and Smithfield. Future students will be tested on reading, writing, and mathematics proficiency skills.
To sign up for the placement test, please complete the following:
- Submit an online application
- Select a testing date and time listed below
- Call or visit the Admissions office to sign-up for a testing date and time
Franklin Admissions Office, 757.569.6707
Suffolk Admissions Office, 757.925.6313
Smithfield Admissions Office, 757.925.6340
Practice Books, Sample Test, and Practice Test
Future students are advised to review practice materials for preparation of the placement test. The following materials are available for future students to review the skills needed to successfully complete the placement test:
- Math Practice book
- Reading Practice book
- Writing Practice book
- Listing of Online Resources for English practice
Once these practice materials are reviewed, online testing samples can be accessed by clicking on Sample Test or the practice test can be accessed by clicking on Student Self-Registration in the lower right corner of the webpage. On the Student Registration page, enter the following:
Institution: VCCS Practice Institution
Site: VCCS Practice Test
Those future students interested in calculus practice resources, may find the following websites useful:
What should future students bring on the testing day? Please bring the following:
- A government issued picture ID such as a driver’s license or passport.
- The seven digit student ID number issued when the application to PDCCC was submitted and accepted. This number is also noted as the emplid at the bottom of the accepted application pdf document.
Placement Testing Calendar
Note: Placement Testing dates are subject to change without notice.
Franklin Campus Room 117
Hobbs (Suffolk) Campus Room 103
Smithfield Center Room 208
Dual Enrollment Testing Dates for Area High Schools
For high school students interested in the dual enrollment program for 2016-2017 who need to test or retest, please contact the following numbers to sign up for testing:
Mrs. Judy Hawkins, 757-925-6328 (office) or 757-925-6314
- Kings Fork High School
- Nansemond River High School
- Lakeland High School
- Windsor High School*
Ms. Mary Ellen Gleason, 757-569-6740
- Franklin High School
- Southampton High School
- Southampton Academy
- Windsor High School*
Ms. Brenda Anyanwu, 757-925-6040
- Smithfield High School
- Isle of Wight Academy
- Windsor High School*
*Windsor High School students may call either site that is convenient to where they live. Any high school student may choose the site most convenient to their summer schedule or activities.
If a high school student is unable to take the placement test on the designated day for his/her high school, then the student and/or parent will need to contact the Test Administrator at the college to schedule an individual testing date and time. In that event, contact Ms. Gleason for the Franklin campus at 757-569-6740 or Mrs. Hawkins for the Suffolk campus at 757-925-6328 or 757-925-6314.
Instructions for future dual enrollment students.
- All first time students must submit an online application at www.pdc.edu
- Students must bring with them their student ID number provided by the application process
- It is strongly recommended that students review the practice materials. Hard copy practice materials are provided to the schools through the guidance counselors. Online practice materials are provided on this webpage.
- A calculator is provided with the test. Personal calculators are not permitted.
- Dual enrollment testing is provided on the site of the high school. However, during the summer months, testing or retesting is administered at the college. Please contact the Franklin campus, 757.569.6707; Suffolk campus, 757.925.6328 or 727.925.6313; and Smithfield Center, 757.925.6343 to sign up for one of the summer testing dates.
Kaplan Entrance Exam for Future Nursing Students
Kaplan entrance exams are administered September – October and January – February for all perspective nursing students. Please contact Carol Griffin at 757.569.6731 in the Nursing Department to schedule a testing date. Kaplan practice materials are available at the Follett Bookstore on the Franklin and Hobbs Suffolk Campus.