This Scholarship is available for Spring Semester Only.
After dropping out of high school for several years, Lula B. Holland decided to return and completed her high school diploma at the age of 21. Later, she earned an Associate of Arts degree and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing and a Master’s degree in Social Work. She retired from the U.S Army Reserves at the rank of Colonel, having served as the Chief Nurse of the 18th Field Hospital—and from the City of Portsmouth (VA), having served as the Assistant Director of Social Services.
Known throughout the country as the “hat lady” because she is never seen in public without wearing a beautiful hat on her head, Lula prides herself more in wearing the “hats” of service to her country, service to her community, service to her church and service to her family. This annual scholarship established in her name will provide for books and incidentals related to the completion of a degree by a non-traditional student.
- High School Graduate or GED recipient
- Enrollment in at least 6 semester hours of an Associate or Applied Science Degree Program at PDCCC
- Starting college at age 21 or older
- Resident of Suffolk
- Financial Need (paragraph describing financial need must be attached to application)
- Proof of community service
- Two letters of reference (must be attached to application)
- Essay describing (1) how the decision was made to begin pursuing a college education at an age greater than 21 years old and (2) future plans (must be attached to application)
The College Scholarship Committee makes selection.