This Scholarship is available for Spring Semester Only.
Ryan Lawrence Kirkland graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1999 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology. Following a brief tour for the State of Alaska as a scientific observer on commercial fishing boats, he taught science in the public school system for four years. Ryan was passionate about education, science, and people. It was only natural when he decided to return to school to become a Registered Nurse. He entered the RN program at Paul D. Camp Community College in August 2006. His ready smile, sense of humor, dedication to study, and caring for others quickly earned the trust and respect of his classmates and college faculty. He was elected President of the Class of 2008.
Ryan loved people and accepted them as they were, no questions asked. He was always ready to lend his support to any project, problem, or cause. On March 21, 2007, Ryan died in a car accident. His time here was short, but he will never be forgotten. Ryan’s classmates said it best at their capping ceremony when they read a poem in his memory called “The Dash” by Linda Ellis. The poem affi rms a simple truth: On a tombstone, you will see a date of birth and a date of death, but what is really important is how the Dash was spent between those years.
- High School Graduate or GED recipient
- Enrollment in at least 6 semester hours of an Associate or Applied Science Degree Program at PDCCC
- Starting college at age 21 or older
- Resident of Suffolk
- Financial Need (paragraph describing financial need must be attached to application)
- Proof of community service
- Two letters of reference (must be attached to application)
- Essay describing (1) how the decision was made to begin pursuing a college education at an age greater than 21 years old and (2) future plans (must be attached to application)