This Scholarship Is Open To Graduating High School Seniors.
The purpose of the Commonwealth Legacy Scholarship Program is to increase access to higher education and to develop student leadership potential. One scholarship of up to $3,000 will be awarded for the Fall and Spring semesters. The award may be used for tuition/fees and books and supplies.
The College Scholarship Committee will select the recipient. The recipient will be selected and notified in May.
- The Commonwealth Legacy Scholar will be a student attending college for the first time at a Virginia Community College.
- Selection will be based on merit.
- The scholar will demonstrate academic excellence during high school.
- The scholar will demonstrate a willingness to promote community college education and the Commonwealth Legacy Scholarship Program.
- The scholar will demonstrate a willingness to mentor future scholars.
- The scholar will demonstrate a commitment to developing leadership potential.
- The student must be a full-time, associate degree-seeking student with plans to graduate from a Virginia Community College.
- If selected, the recipient agrees to:
- Attend an orientation developed for Commonwealth Legacy Scholars;
- Participate in a minimum of two state-wide events annually;
- Participate in the annual Student Leadership program; and, attend a special luncheon event held in Richmond, Virginia.
1. Completed Application Form
2. Official High School Transcript
3. Narrative Essay*
4. One Letter of Recommendation from a high school faculty member, written on official school stationery
*Your essay should address how you have demonstrated leadership, past or present experiences in mentoring or tutoring either as a participant or mentor/tutor. Describe why you have chosen to attend the community college and how you envision your academic goals being achieved through that experience. Your essay should be no more than 500 words.
College Scholarship Committee makes selection.