Federal TRIO Programs (TRIO) include eight programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post baccalaureate programs. Here on the Franklin campus of Paul D. Camp Community College, we offer the Upward Bound TRIO program. The purpose of Upward Bound is to help high school students (9th, 10th, 11th and 12th graders), who have the potential to develop academic skills and motivation, to continue their education beyond high school. Students within the Upward Bound program, upon graduating from high school, will be equipped to enter a postsecondary institution and succeed with minimum difficulty. The program serves 50 students from three target area schools — Franklin High School, Lakeland High School and Southampton High School.
Data & Administrative Specialist
Certified teachers from local public schools and Paul D. Camp Community College faculty and students serve as tutors.
The program is funded to serve fifty (50) students during the Academic Year and a Summer Component.
- An intensive educational summer non-residential component at the Franklin campus for six weeks.
- An academic year component where students attend sessions on selected Saturday’s each month to receive additional instruction in mathematics, English, science, social studies, Spanish, reading and SAT preparation when needed.
- An organized guidance program designed for educational, career and personal counseling with emphasis on the total development of the student.
- A variety of cultural events – on and off-campus.
- Financial aid planning and preparation for seniors and parents enrolled in the program.
- College visits and tours.
Requirements for consideration are:
- First generation college student and potential low-income.
- Academically and motivationally in pursuit of postsecondary education.
- Completed application packet to include: two teacher recommendations, counselor recommendation, and official transcript.
- Students who meet the following criteria will be selected:
- A citizen or national and permanent resident of the United States
- A low-income/first generation family status
- A need for academic support to enhance high school graduation and the pursuit of postsecondary education
Franklin High School Upward Bound Students Awards Ceremony
Shadajeeh Hunt -Student of the Month
Calendar (Upcoming events/activities)
Lakeland School visit-May 8th
Franklin School visit-May 10th
Self Defense Class at the Workforce Center-May 14th, 21st, 28th
New Student Orientation-May 16th
March of Dimes @ 1pm Franklin PDCCC-May 19th