Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service supplements the library’s collections by providing access to materials owned by other libraries.
Warning: The Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, US Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.”
If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law. [37 C.F.R. 201.14]
Interlibrary borrowing is governed by a National Interlibrary Loan policy. The lending library sets the conditions under which the item may be borrowed including the length of the loan period and whether the item may be renewed. Photocopies are normally supplied in lieu of lending a copy of a journal issue or volume.
Interlibrary loan supports the mission of the Paul D. Camp Community College’s Library. The library provides Interlibrary Loan services for PDCCC faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students who are in good standing with the library, to enable them to request books and copies of articles not available in the library collection or officially declared missing.
The PDCCC Library adheres to the guidelines of the American Library Association’s National Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States (and Canada), 1993 (ALA Code Guidelines) and to the guidelines for international lending. Paul D. Camp Community College’s Libraries comply with all provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law.
Policies for Borrowing Materials Not in the Library
The following applies to all PDCCC students, faculty, and staff.
- A loan or a copy of any material may be requested from another library in accordance with the published lending policy of that library. The lending library decides in each case whether a particular item can be provided and determines the length and conditions of loans.
- PDCCC students, faculty, and staff may request items by filling out a form obtained Interlibrary Loan Book Request Form or from the library’s circulation desk.
- The library does not normally process the following interlibrary loan requests:
- Requests that are incomplete
- Requests that are not in accordance with the Copyright Law
- Requests for non-book formats including compact discs, records, videos and film
- Requests for bound or single issues of periodicals
- Requests for reference books and rare materials
- Requests for new publications
- All borrowers of interlibrary loan materials are responsible for the prompt return of loaned items to the PDCCC Library. The library reserves the right to suspend interlibrary loan privileges to any borrower who repeatedly returns interlibrary loan materials after the due date.
- Interlibrary loan materials may not be renewed.
- Borrowers are responsible for the replacement of lost or damaged materials at a charge determined by the lending library. Failure to pay any charges will result in suspension of all library borrowing privileges. Fines are paid at the library’s circulation desk.
- Requested items may be picked up at the library’s circulation desk as indicated on the form that was submitted.
- All material on loan is subject to immediate recall if requested by the lending library.