Paul D. Camp Community College nursing students recently received pins during a special ceremony, which marked the completion of the RN program. The event was held at the Regional Workforce Development Center.
The guest speaker for the evening was Colleen Flick, a registered nurse and recent member of the PDCCC adjunct faculty. She served on the local college board as well. Currently, Flick works in emergency at Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk. “As I used to say: nursing is not what you do. It’s what you are,” she said. “Don’t fear and do have compassion…it sees what the eyes don’t. Compassion sees to the heart.”
Jessica Tarrant, Barbara Johnson, Nicole Bedoya, Brittany Barnes, Antoinette Adams, Kristine Pearce, Leticia Mickels, Sissy Jumper, Desiree Gunn, Becky Belcher, Jenipher McMillan, Erin Holland, Janie D’Amico, Laura White, Katrina Denny and Denise Gephart were recognized for their participation in the Nursing Student Association.
Other special honors went to class president Erin Holland, who earned the Dr. Candace Rogers Excellence in Leadership Award; Kristine Pearce, who received the Florence Nightingale Award; class treasurer Barbara Johnson, who was presented the Nursing Academic Excellence Award; 2010-11 class vice president Katrina Denny, who received the Good Citizen Award; class secretary Denise Gephart, who earned the Mentorship Award; and Becky Belcher and Jessica Scott, who received the Nursing Clinical Excellence Award.
Recently retired Vice President for Institutional Advancement Dr. Patsy Joyner and current Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services Dr. Joe Edenfield were honored by the presentation of the first pins awarded that evening by Nursing Program Head Dr. Candace Rogers. College President Dr. Paul Wm. Conco accepted Dr. Joyner’s on her behalf.
Members of the Class of 2012 receiving pins are noted below:
- Front row (left to right)
- Elizabeth Parker of Courtland
- Katrina Denny of Franklin
- Antoinette Adams of Courtland
- Stacy Griffith of Franklin
- Brittany Barnes of Sedley
- Whitney Irvine of Suffolk
- Emmalia Roi Colendrino of Wakefield
- Sissy Jumper of Zuni
- Janie D’Amico of Suffolk
- Second row:
- Roykieya Whitaker of Scotland Neck, N.C.
- Jessica Scott of Suffolk
- Erin Holland of Chesapeake
- Nicole Bedoya of Suffolk
- Stephanie Marshall of Windsor
- Ashlee Landrus of Windsor
- Jenipher McMillan of Suffolk
- Jordyn McGrew of Smithfield
- Leticia Mickels of Suffolk
- Back row:
- Tamara Williams of Wakefield
- Denise Gephart of Ivor
- Yvonne Creech of Carrsville
- Desiree Gunn of Courtland
- Millie Munford of Drewryville
- Jessica Barnes of Newsoms
- Jamie Edwards of Franklin
- Tonia Golden of Franklin
- Laura White of Franklin
- Jessica Tarrant of Carrsville
- Barbara Johnson of Franklin
- Kristine Pearce of Suffolk
- Becky Belcher of Franklin
(Not pictured is Katina Sharpe of Suffolk.)