Disability Support Services: Disability Handbook

revised August 2017

Paul D. Camp Community College (PDCCC) provides equal opportunities, including the establishment and coordination of reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities act of 1990.

PDCCC is committed to maximizing the educational potential for students with disabilities by coordinating reasonable accommodations.

Many of the procedures for students with disabilities are standardized. Each individual with a disabling condition is unique and therefore, evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Dual enrolled students with disabilities will receive academic adjustments and reasonable accommodations through the School pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, respectively. Academic adjustments and reasonable accommodations for dual enrollment courses that students take for college-level credit shall not be pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004, 20 U.S.C § 1400. At no time shall the College approve academic adjustments and reasonable accommodations for dual enrollment courses that will fundamentally alter the nature of the course.

Students who are not in the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program should see Trina Jones (Franklin Campus), Sherri Ward (Suffolk Campus) or Antoinette Johnson (Smithfield Center) for disability services. Students taking classes exclusively online or at an off-campus location may contact either counselor or contact person by phone or email.

Trina Jones (Franklin Campus)
Admissions Office, Room 126

Antoinette Johnson (Smithfield Center)
Room 202

Students who are participants in the TRIO Student Support Services program should see Gail Vaughan (Franklin Campus) or Hyler Scott (Suffolk Campus) for disability services.

Gail Vaughan (Franklin Campus)
Suite 120B

Hyler Scott (Suffolk Campus)
Room 100L

Paul D. Camp Community College Policy Statement for Disability Support Services

Paul D. Camp Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities, or other non-merit factors in its programs and activities.

An Individual with a disability is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act as “a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment”.

It is your (the student) responsibility or decision to inform us (PDCCC) of your disability and request accommodation(s).

Responsibilities of Paul D. Camp Community College

(in accordance with the Americans with disabilities act (ADA) and section 504 of the rehabilitation act of 1973 and the virginians with disability act of 1985)

Paul D. Camp Community College adheres to two Federal Mandates that govern Disability Services; Title II of the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 , also the Virginians with Disability Act of 1985.

Americans with Disabilities Act

The ADA provides comprehensive civil rights protection that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in the areas of employment, state and local government, public accommodation and services, transportation, and telecommunications. Community College students with disabilities are covered in Title II of the ADA. Title II requires that State and local governments give people with disabilities an equal opportunity to benefit from all of their programs, services and activities. Public entities are not required to take actions that would result in undue financial and administrative burdens. They are required to make reasonable modifications to policies, practices and procedures where necessary to avoid discrimination.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

This section provides that “no otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States…shall, solely by reason of …handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance”. For the purpose of postsecondary education, a qualified handicapped person is one who meets the academic and technical standard requisite to admission or participation in the recipient’s education program or activity. Programs and activities that must operate in a nondiscriminatory manner include recruitment, admission, academic programs, research, occupational training, housing, health insurance, counseling, financial aid, physical education, athletics, recreation and transportation.

Academic Accommodations Policy

Paul D. Camp Community College provides academic accommodations to students with a disability that reflects a substantial limitation to learning. To ensure the provision of reasonable and appropriate accommodations for our students, PDCCC requires current and comprehensive documentation of the disability from the appropriate diagnosing professional.

Eligibility for Services:
To receive services and/or accommodations you must:

  • Self-identify with one of the individuals listed on page 2.
  • Request accommodations at the beginning of each semester (if needed).
  • Discuss accommodations with counselor and review recommended accommodations.
  • Pick up accommodation form to take to your instructor.
  • Return a signed copy of accommodation (by instructor) to your counselor.

Requirements for Services:

  • Provide current and comprehensive documentation of your disability that requires accommodations.
  • Your documentation will be reviewed and you may be asked to bring in additional documentation.
  • An IEP from a previous school is not considered adequate documentation. IEPs are accepted at public schools, grades PreK-12, not at the postsecondary level. It is your responsibility to obtain additional information if requested.
  • A prior history of an accommodation without demonstration of current need does not, in and of itself, warrant the provision of the same accommodations.

Determining Reasonable Accommodations:

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, service, activity, or facility that enables equal access to programs and services to otherwise qualified students with disabilities. In turn, equal opportunity refers to the opportunity to attain equal benefits and privileges on a par to similar students without a disability. Your counselor for disability services will make the final determination of reasonable accommodations.

Temporary Accommodations Policy

Paul D. Camp Community College provides academic accommodations to students with a disability that reflects a substantial limitation to learning. To ensure the provision of reasonable and appropriate accommodations for our students, PDCCC requires current and comprehensive documentation of the disability from the appropriate diagnosing professional.

For circumstances in which a student needs additional time to obtain complete documentation to determine eligibility, the counselor can approve temporary accommodations, not to exceed one semester. The temporary accommodations allows for appropriate time, which is defined as one semester for the student to obtain the complete documentation to determine eligibility for services. The following are reasons that a temporary accommodation may be considered:

  1. Incomplete documentation
    Incomplete documentation is defined as documentation that does not have all required information. The student has the remainder of the semester to provide the missing information.
  2. Not meeting current eligibility criteria
    If the documentation does not meet current eligibility, the student will be informed that in order to continue services beyond the immediate semester, a new assessment or further documentation must be submitted to determine eligibility for future services through PDCCC. Temporary accommodations will be provided for the remainder of the semester.
  3. Request for additional accommodation(s)
    Upon request for an additional accommodation, it must be determined if the current documentation supports the new accommodation. If further documentation is needed to support the request for an additional accommodation, a temporary accommodation will be issued for the current semester.

*The extent of services is determined on a case-by-case basis. PDCCC is under no obligation to provide accommodations unless the students has fulfilled their obligations in the process.

Accommodations and Services

The following accommodations and services are only available if the specific accommodation is an approved service for you (student) based on your most recent documentation by a qualified professional.

Classroom Accommodations
Students are responsible for informing instructors about needed accommodations within the classroom.

Examples of classroom accommodations include providing for priority seating, permitting tape recording of classes, and permitting attendance at a duplicate lecture section.

Testing Accommodations
Testing accommodations may include extended time, distraction reduced space for testing, and use of computer lab setting for testing.

If you qualify for testing accommodations, you may…

  1. Take the exam with the class
  2. Oral testing – if the student needs to have oral testing, a reader can be provided. A minimum of 48 hours of advance notice is required to provide this accommodation.
  3. Test scribe – if a student qualifies for writing assistance during testing, a scribe can be provided. A minimum of 48 hours of advance notice is required to provide this accommodation.
  4. Extended time – students may be approved for extended time during testing or completing assignments.

Note Taking
Note takers are students who are enrolled in the same class as the students eligible for this accommodation. If you are eligible for a note taker, you must request this service 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.

You must attend class in order to utilize note-taking services. Absences from class may result in the cancellation of note-taking services.

Digital Voice Recorders may be provided in place of a note taker for classes.

Individual tutoring is available at no cost to the students. Normally, a maximum of three hours per week is provided for each student. However, depending on a student’s needs, the number of hours can be increased when justified. Students needing tutoring must complete a Tutor Request Form from the SSS Office.

Sign Language Interpreters
Due to the limited availability of sign language interpreters in the college’s service area, a minimum of four weeks’ notice is required to obtain this service. Request for interpreters for out-of-class course assignments or other college-required work will be provided with reasonable notice and cost.

Taped Textbooks
Students who have difficulty with standard textbooks are encouraged to register with Recording for the Blind. Students with a learning disability who are auditory learners may also request taped textbooks through Recording for Blind. Students may request an application directly from Recording for the Blind by calling 1-800-221-4792. Request for taped textbooks should be made at least two weeks prior to the beginning of a semester.

Priority Registration
Students with disabilities register in the same manner as other students. If students require a certain schedule due to their disability or are unable to wait in lines, the student will receive priority registration. Students needing priority registration on the Franklin Campus should contact Trina Jones for Non SSS participants, and Gail Vaughan for SSS participants; and on the Suffolk Campus, Sherri Ward for Non SSS participants, Hyler Scott for SSS participants, and Antoinette Johnson at the Smithfield Center. Students should contact the counselor two weeks prior to registration.

All spaces that are marked Handicapped Parking may be used by individuals who have a handicap license plate on their vehicle or display a current handicap card in their front window.

Suggestions on How to Approach Faculty Members

  1. Make an appointment during the faculty member’s posted office hours. If the instructor is a part-time instructor, ask him/her when it would be convenient for you to meet.
  2. Be on time for the appointment.
  3. Introduce yourself and tell the instructor which class you are in.
  4. A good approach is to say, “I have a form from disability services which verifies that I have a disability. I would appreciate discussing with you the best way to work out the accommodations listed.”
  5. If you are unclear about anything that is said during your discussion, ask for clarification.
  6. Take notes on the instructor’s suggestions.
  7. At the end of your meeting, summarize what you have written and discussed to double check your understanding of the procedures you have agreed upon.
  8. If the instructor has questions that you cannot answer, please refer him/her to your counselor.

Dispute Resolution Procedure for Eligibility for Services and Determination of Reasonable Accommodations

If a student wants to appeal a decision regarding eligibility for services or determination of accommodations, the following procedure has been established:

  1. Request an appointment to meet with your disability services counselor. If the concern cannot be resolved at this level, initiate Step 2.
  2. Request an appointment to meet with the Vice President of Academic and Student Development with input from the Operations Manager. If the concern cannot be resolved at this level, initiate Step 3.
  3. Request an appointment to meet with the President. The decision of the President is final.