This Scholarship is available for Spring Semester Only.
Amount: $500 distributed to one student during the Fall term.
Two nursing scholarships were established through the Southampton Memorial Hospital Auxiliary: The Matthews Nursing Scholarship and the Reed Nursing Scholarship. As the hospital no longer has a nursing program, the Auxiliary combined the two scholarships to provide nursing students at Paul D. Camp Community College funds to help pay for their education to become nurses.
The Maria Holland Matthews Scholarship Fund was established by Dr. Roy Matthews in memory of his mother, a life-long resident of Franklin and Southampton County, for students in the hospital’s School of Practical Nursing. Mrs. Matthews was dedicated to the hospital and young people – this scholarship is in honor and memory of her values and beliefs and is a lasting tribute to her memory.
The Reed Nursing Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Dianne Daughtry Reed, a native of Hunterdale, who attended Johnston-Willis School of Nursing after she graduated from Southampton County High School. Mrs. Reed dedicated eight years of her young life to providing quality, compassionate nursing care on the Intensive/Coronary Care Unit and another year as Clinical Instructor for the School of Practical Nursing at Southampton Memorial Hospital. She was ever striving to improve her knowledge, and she set a glowing example for new nurses to follow. She died as a result of injuries she sustained in an automobile accident in 1985. This scholarship was designed to perpetuate her love for nursing through the students whom receive it.
The Matthews & Reed Nursing Scholarship will be available for students who meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must have received a letter of acceptance into the PN, RN or LPN-RN Bridge Program at PDCCC. (Letter must be attached to the application.)
- Applicant must reside in the Western Tidewater communities of Franklin, Isle of Wight County, or Southampton County, Virginia.
- Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 if currently or recently enrolled in high school or continuing education.
- Applicant must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 to receive the second installment of scholarship funds.
- Submissions must include a short essay stating the applicant’s plans to continue a career in nursing.
The Paul D. Camp Scholarship Committee will make the award of this scholarship.