This Scholarship is available for Fall Semester only
Roy and Eleanor Epps Cornwell grew up on family farms near Ivor during the Great Depression. They were married after he returned from service in the US Navy during World War II and, together, they built two businesses and raised their daughters in Ivor. Roy was the founder of Prescription Fertilizer and Chemical Company in Ivor and, with Eleanor’s help, ran that business for many years. Both were committed to lifelong learning and to their community and were devoted parents and grandparents.
Roy was a graduate of Ivor High School and the Apprentice School at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. A farmer at heart, he was known for his knowledge of agriculture, skill as a hunter and enjoyment of people. He loved the Berlin-Ivor area more than any place on earth. Eleanor graduated from Dendron High School and enthusiastically enrolled in some classes when Paul D. Camp Community College opened. As a PTA leader, she was instrumental in bringing music education into Southampton County elementary schools. She loved her work with the church and her travels.
This scholarship is given by Locke and Cathy Cornwell Floyd and their sons, Michael, Brian, and Paul Floyd, in memory of the Cornwells, in honor of the nurses who patiently cared for them in their later years and in appreciation of the people of the Western Tidewater area who were a part of their lives in many, many ways.
The Roy and Eleanor Cornwell Scholarship will be available for tuition, books, and other legitimate school needs for nursing students.
- Applicant must have received a letter of acceptance into the RN Program or LPN-RN Bridge Program at PDCCC. (Letter must be attached to the application.)
- Applicant must demonstrate a likelihood of success in the program, as determined by the Nursing Faculty.
- Applicant must be a resident of Southampton County, Isle of Wight County, Surry County or Sussex County.
- Two letters of recommendation must be attached to application.
- Submissions must include a short essay stating how this scholarship would help the student to pursue their goals and why that is important to the applicant.
The College Scholarship Committee, with the input of the Nursing Department, makes the selection.