What Can A High School Career Coach Do For You?
The last years of high school can be stressful. Students have a world of options before them. Sometimes choosing the right career, college, and major that is right for them can be difficult. We offer assistance to help navigate through all of their options. We help them discover, assess, develop, and focus on their skills, talents, interests and values to help them identify their best pathway and plan for the future. A career coach is a unique resource available to your student. We are dedicated to your student’s success!
We meet with your student in class and one on one to discuss their talents, interests and background. The student will also have the opportunity to complete several interest, skill, and value assessments from the Virginia Education Wizard. We help them use those results to evaluate different careers, jobs, and colleges that may be of interest. We assist the student in conducting an analysis of career choices, goals, and help them identify their best high school classes and programs that will support their career plan. We help the student understand what type of education is necessary for a particular career. Together we guide the student in setting goals and developing an action plan.
Some of the Benefits:
Our high school career coaches have helped students:
- Learn more about themselves.
- Discover jobs and careers that they love.
- Choose the right college, major, classes and internships to best prepare them for their ideal career.
- Perform career search.
- Develop a plan to guide them through their high school academic years.
- Apply to scholarships.
- Practice and excel at interviewing skills.
- Prepare professional and well-written resumes.
- Help with Dual Enrollment application and questions.
- Afford Apprenticeship information sessions and application assistance.
- Impart information about volunteer, on-the-job, internships, and job shadowing information and opportunities.
- Reduce their anxiety and confusion about their future career.
- Provide information about Trade, and/or Technical Schools.
- Provide information about Colleges: 2 and 4 Year.
- Tours to local Community Colleges.
- Supply Career Readiness Certificate information.
- Link students to various Military recruitment centers and career information.
- Provide referrals and recommendation letters for students.
- Administer the SOAR Scholarship Program.
- Host Super Saturday – FAFSA Workshops.
- Facilitate a College and Career Day at the local High Schools.
- Navigate placement testing, college application, financial aid, scholarships, and FAFSA completion.
Isle of Wight Career Coach Contact Information
Monday and Wednesday – Windsor High School
Tuesday and Thursday – Smithfield High School
Friday – Either High School or Paul D. Camp Community College by appointment
Contact Paul D. Camp Community College to learn more about how our High School Career Coaches can help your student discover more about themselves, colleges, and a career that they love.