The first place winners in the first flight, from left, were: Bob Powell, Rick Coradi, Carlisle Wroton and Pat Corbin.
13th Annual Golf Tournament featured celebrity guest Ben Hunter
The Paul D. Camp Community College Foundation brought in at least $15,000 to support student needs.
“However, donations are still coming in,” said Dr. Renee Felts, vice president for institutional advancement and executive director of the foundation. “We couldn’t have been more fortunate—the weather was perfect for the more than 70 players who participated.”
The 13th annual event, held at Sleepy Hole Golf Course in Suffolk, featured the 2006 Sleepy Hole Amateur Champion and first two-time USCAA National Champion Benford “Ben” Hunter, a native of Suffolk.
Awards were announced during a dinner after the tournament. The following were the winning teams for three flights:
- First Flight, First Place: Bob Powell, Carlisle Wroton, Rick Coradi and Pat Corbin
- First Flight, Second Place: Ben Hunter, B.J. Maben, LeCardi Johnson and Maria Stewart
- First Flight, Third Place: Mike Everett, Jimmy Hobbs, Tommy Bryant and Jim Vaughan
- Second Flight, First Place: Ronnie West, Curt Faison, Jerry Vaden and Lynn Goodrich
- Second Flight, Second Place: Dave Dunlap, Time King, Forrest Barefoot and Scott Mooneyham
- Second Flight, Third Place: Dan Lufkin, Tom Vitaletti, Andrew Hodge and Robert Coleman
- Third Flight, First Place: Woody Crook, James Ware and Ernest Gillespie
- Third Flight, Second Place: Ed Jadeski, David Lorenz, Bill Wentz and Heather Eckman
- Third Flight, Third Place: Pete Carr, Charles Powers, Ron Baskins and Tom Gresham
In addition, several superlative awards were presented. Ben Hunter won for the Longest Drive, and Ian Savareux won both of the Closest to the Hole awards. The putting contest was won by Dayton Crowder. Raffle prizes were also awarded.
Proceeds from the event will help provide scholarships and quality programs for Paul D. Camp Community College students.
Among the many supporters, Dominion served as a Silver Sponsor. Bronze sponsors were Bronco Federal Credit Union, Farmers Bank, Birdsong Peanuts and Smithfield Foods. “We thank all of the sponsors, donors and participants who made this event possible,” said Felts. “Many students will be able to benefit from the money we raised.”
For more information about the PDCCC Foundation, contact the Office for Institutional Advancement, 757-569-6790.
Bill Wentz buys raffle tickets from PDCCC Operations Analyst Sheryl Hedgepeth after registering for the golf tournament.
Dr. Daniel Lufkin, PDCCC president, prepares to take his best shot during the 13th Annual PDCCC Foundation Golf Tournament.