January 7 – February 25, 2020
Tuesdays 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Regional Workforce Development Center – 100 N College Drive, Franklin, VA
The schedule is as follows:
- January 7 — Taxes, presented by Benny Burgess and Julie Griggs of Burgess & Co.
Save money and learn more about Section 179, Bonus Depreciation, CCC Loans, Deferred Crop Insurance, Prepayments, Constructive Receipts, Employee vs sub-contractor, 20% Deduction, 1099s, Self-renting land, Timber and reforestation, VA Tax credits, and Conservation Easement.
- January 14 — Business & Law, presented by Will Holt with Benny Burgess & Julie Griggs of Kaufman & Canoles
Legal entities, Business Structuring (Sole Proprietorship, LLC) & General Legal Issues.
- January 21 — Succession Planning, presented by Will Holt of Kaufman & Canoles
Planning for retirement? Thinking about the future of your farming business? Come learn what succession planning is all about.
- January 28 — Crop Insurance, presented by Kevin Lynch and Jim Jervey of Farm Bureau Insurance Co.
Start by hearing the 2019 Crop Insurance update from Kevin and end with a dive into Risk Management with Jim.
- February 4 — Marketing, Hedging, Tariffs, and Risks, presented by Robert Harper of Farm Bureau Insurance Co.
Learn how tariffs affect your business and how to use the market to mitigate your risk with a hedging strategy.
- February 11 — Risk Management, Life Insurance, Retirement, presented by Dawn Simmons, John Drewry, David Saunders, and Jim Jervey of Farm Bureau Insurance Co.
- February 18 — Transition Planning, presented by Will Holt with Michael and Westley Drake of Kaufman & Canoles
Panel discussion with testimonials, lessons learned and best practices for passing your business down to the next generation and keeping the legacy living.
- February 25 — Implementing Speciality and Alternative Crops, presented Dr. Dhakal and Dr. Wondimagegnehu with VSU’s Agricultural Research Station; and Dr. Edenfield
Innovative strategies and pros and cons with implementing (Grapes, bees, herbs, organics, etc.)
Tuition: $50 per person. (Bring your spouse, son/daughter, or your partner at no charge!) Tuition covers all 8 sessions, pick one or come to all.
Sponsored by: Farm Credit
Register for classes by calling the Workforce Development Office at 757-569-6050.