The college was built on land donated by Paul D. Camp’s daughters. A supporter of education, Paul D. Camp and his brothers founded the lumber company, Camp Manufacturing in 1887.
After starting a paper mill, the Franklin facility became a part of Union Camp Corporation, and finally, International Paper.
- Founded in 1970 and opened in 1971.
- Offered classes in the John Randolph Elementary School building in Suffolk in 1979.
- Started an off-campus center in a building on Pinner Street in Suffolk in 1982.
- Opened PDCCC at Smithfield on the top floor of the Smithfield Library In 1993. Renovated and leased for free to college by Isle of Wight County.
- Opened the Hobbs Suffolk Campus by 1995; built on land donated by the Oliver K. Hobbs Sr. family.
- Completed the Regional Workforce Development Center in Franklin in 2002.
Paul D. Camp Presidents:
Dr. Perry Adams
Dr. Johnnie Merritt
Dr. Michael B. McCall
Dr. Edwin L. Barnes
Dr. Jerome J. Friga
Dr. Douglas W. Boyce
Dr. Paul Wm. Conco