Programs: Professional Welder- Pipe (221-995-79)
Award: Career Studies Certificates
This training program starts with hands-on welding classes, and the majority of classroom experience is through interactive workshop courses. It’s an exciting training program that will prepare you to jump-start your pipe welding career in less than one year.
What will I learn?
- Each student will learn industry safety, tape measurements, basic math, operate basic hand tools, operate all shop machinery, blueprint reading, basic welding principles and cutting procedures.
- Weld processes in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding(GMAW), Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW), Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), and Oxy-fuel Gas Welding (OFW), Brazing, and Soldering
- Out of position welding
- OFC, PAC, CAC thermal processes
- Fit, prep, and welding Plate
- Fit, prep, and welding Pipe (open root E6011)
What qualifications can I receive in this program?
Welding Students are encouraged to take their qualification weld tests. Below is a list of AWS (American Welding Society) qualifications each student can earn while in the Professional Pipe Welding Program.
- Steel SMAW 6G Pipe, Limited- AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel SMAW All Position Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel FCAW All Position Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel GTAW 3G Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel GMAW-S 2G Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel SMAW Tack Welder Qualification – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- AWS SENSE Level 1 Entry Welder- AWS QC10 and AWS EG2.0
- AWS SENSE Level 2 Advanced Welder – AWS QC11 and AWS EG3.0
How long will I need to be in College?
Students can complete this program in just three semesters
What job or career can I get with a Professional Pipe Welding CSC?
Upon completion each student will process the skills necessary for entry-level pipe welding positions in welding industry.
All students that successfully complete the Professional Pipe Welding Program with a 3.0 GPA or higher will qualify for a paid apprenticeship with RepairTech LLC.
How much can I earn with a Professional Pipe CSC?
Below are the 2020 Hourly wages for careers in the pipe welding Industry within the Hampton roads workforce region.
What is the job outlook for graduates from this program?
As of the fourth quarter of 2021, total employment in the Hampton Roads Workforce Region for Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers was 2,308. There is projected annual demand/need for 202 new entrants into this occupation (Source: Jobs EQ Occupation Report Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers, April 2022).
How much can I earn with this career studies certificate?
Below are the 2021 wages for careers, within the Hampton Roads Workforce Region, that are related to this field.
Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers
(Source: Jobs EQ Occupation Report Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers, April 2022)
Want to know more? Check out the program map and program requirements in the College Catalog.