Descriptions and Eligibility

Federal PELL Grant

  • A federal grant designed to assist eligible undergraduate students with unmet need who have not already earned a bachelor's degree. Eligibility for this grant is determined by the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and is also affected by enrollment status. The award range for the 2022-23 academic year is $355 - $6,895 and an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 0 will result in the largest Pell Grant award.  If you enroll in less than 12 credit hours of eligible enrollment, your aid will be pro-rated (generally, 9-11 credits = 75%; 6-8 credits = 50%, < 6 credits = 25% although at higher EFCs the pro-rated award may be $0).  Federal Pell funds are gift aid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG):

  • Federal SEOG is a federal grant available for Pell Grant students with exceptional financial need (i.e., students with the lowest EFCs). Students may receive from $100 to $4,000 a year depending on eligibility, funding level, residency, and the date of application. Most awards are between $100 and $1,000 a year, given our limited funding.  Eligible students will be awarded once the FAFSA and any follow-up requests have been received on a first-completed, first-served basis until funds have been exhausted. Federal SEOG funds are gift aid.

Federal Work Study

  • Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for students with financial need. Employment may be on or off campus in community service organizations. The program encourages work related to the recipient's course of study. Wages for the program must equal at least the current federal minimum wage. Students are paid every two weeks according to actual hours worked. Maximum number of working hours while school is in session is 20 hours per week; average is 10-20 hours per week. Students are paid by the hour every two weeks. The amount earned cannot exceed the total FWS award. When assigning work hours, consideration will be given to the student’s award amount, class schedule, and academic progress. Eligible students who have already been awarded other aid and wish to be considered for FWS are advised to complete an online Work-Study Request.

State Commonwealth Grant (COMA)

  • Commonwealth grant is a state-funded program that provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents who demonstrate financial need. Student must be domiciled in Virginia. Award amounts cannot exceed tuition and fees per academic year. A minimum of 6 credit hours is required each semester in order to receive COMA.  Eligible students will be awarded once the FAFSA and any follow-up requests have been received on a first-completed, first-served basis until funds have been exhausted. Students taking 15 or more credits who meet other requirements will qualify for the highest COMA grant, so they can finish sooner (15 to Finish!).

State Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP):

  • Initial VGAP awards range from $1,000 up to $4,400 and are available to undergraduate Virginia residents who graduated from a Virginia high school with at least a 2.5 grade point average. Students must submit a final high school transcript to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Awards may be renewed for a second academic year at a slightly higher amount, only if the student has completed at least 30 credits with a 2.0 or higher GPA.
  • Please read the additional new VGAP rules in effect for the 2019-20 academic year.  Students must apply early before funds run out.

Part-Time Tuition Assistance Program (PTAP) Grant

  • PTAP is a locally-funded grant, which provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents who demonstrate financial need. Award amounts cannot exceed tuition and fees per academic year. A minimum of 1 credit hour and a maximum of 8 credit hours are required in order to receive PTAP. This grant is typically not awarded as part of the initial aid package as that is based on projected full-time enrollment, but during the repackaging process when aid is based on actual enrollment.  Limited funds are available, so they are usually given to students who had COMA or other aid that must be cancelled due to enrollment in less than 6 credits.

Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Grant

  • The VCCS Grant is a locally-funded grant that provides assistance to Virginia domiciled residents at Virginia’s Community Colleges with unmet financial need. Award amounts cannot exceed tuition, fees, and books per academic year. This grant is not awarded as part of the initial aid package and due to limited funds available, usually given to students who aren't eligible for other aid, at the discretion of Paul D. Camp Community College’s Financial Aid Coordinator.

Scholarship Assistance

The Office of Institutional Advancement manages scholarships for the college. Filing a FAFSA is required for all scholarships except DECOS and non-credit scholarships.

Other Assistance

Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant: A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Eligible students must be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year – not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Federal Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship: Under this scholarship, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.  To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death. In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.  All federal aid awarded to such eligible students must be based on an EFC of zero without regard to the student’s calculated EFC. Go to for the exact language and who is considered a public safety officer.

VCCS Foster Care Tuition Grant: The Tuition Grant program provides tuition and fees at any Virginia community college for high school graduates or general education development (GED) completers in foster care, in the custody of a social services agency, or considered a special needs adoption. A minimum of 6 credit hours is required and financial need must be demonstrated. The grant covers tuition and fees only for students not already receiving sufficient federal and state grant eligibility to cover those expenses. Students who would like to be considered for this grant should send proof of their foster care or special needs adoptee status to the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan: Direct Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. Eligibility for Direct Loans is determined by the college and the U.S. Department of Education from the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education. A minimum of 6 credit hours per semester is required.  We encourage students to borrow only what they need to meet their educational expenses. Loans must be repaid, with interest. Students begin making payments on student loans six months after graduating, stopping attendance, or dropping enrollment to less than half-time (enrolled in fewer than six credit hours). Not all VCCS colleges participate in the federal loan programs.  The college reserves the right to deny a loan on a case-by-case basis under 34 CFR 685.301(a) when a student a) has a pattern of non-passing grades, b) has a previous default, or c) has an existing loan debt that approaches undergraduate limits.

Types of Loans Include:

  • Subsidized: for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations.  The federal government “subsidizes” the interest, meaning no interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods.
  • Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged quarterly during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.  If unpaid, interest is compounded, meaning the student will accrue interest on the previously unpaid interest after leaving school.
  • PLUS: unsubsidized loans for the parents of dependent students. PLUS loans help pay for their child's education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods.

Loan limits: There is a maximum amount you can borrow each year in Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans which depends on your grade level and on whether you are a dependent student or an independent student. Refer to the Department of Education's Loan website, our Student Loan Program website, see the chart on the bottom of our Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form for more information.

Please note:  Loans requested for two semesters are paid out in one disbursement per term; however, loans requested for a single term must be paid out in two disbursements at least 30 days apart.  The Financial Aid Office must recheck enrollment and SAP status prior to each disbursement.